Tuesday, December 13, 2005

First Episode Complete...

I completed the first episode (I'll talk about why I don't want to call it an issue in a second) a few days ago and finally took it to a print shop yesterday and made copies. The outer "cover" was printed on white paper, the inner page (with the centerfold picture... you'll see it below) was copied on pink paper.

Originally, I was going to copy all of the text from the zine and retype it here in the blog, but I've decided that it would be fun to keep the two formats unique (or different from each other at least.) So, I'm going to write different things in the blog and leave the materials in the printed version just for people who get their hands on it...

If you want a paper copy, and who wouldn't, just email me your address, or your work address or a P.O. box if you're afraid I'll find you, and I'll send you one. I'd love to TRADE zines if you're into that as well; just send me an email and let me know that's what you want to do...

Here's the email address: phantomconversation@yahoo.com

Now, why don't I want to call this the first "issue" of my "magazine?" Because I think of these as art objects more than magazines. I'm an English major (just finished my bachelor's degree at Washington State University at Vancouver and I'm heading to Portland State University for post-bac studies, until I can get into the graduate program,) and I KNOW this project is not going to be literary quality writing. It's more of an exercise in fleeting emotion and stolen imagery (although I have plenty of photographs and scans of my own artwork, it's somehow more exciting to "borrow" pictures from other sources... I'm going to call it "collage" and "visual juxtapositioning for satirical purposes" to avoid any copyright infringement issues... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!) And thus, because I'm thinking of these little book-things as art objects, and not magazines, I don't think they should be called issues. I'm not issuing a new edition, I'm performing another episode of this paper happening. (For more on "happenings" I suggest looking into Ray Johnson and Fluxus.) Umm... Yeah...

More Ray Johnson sites, because I love Ray (as a concept... as a person, he is no longer around to have an opinion on...)

Cracker Jack Kid's Ray Johnson Gallery
a documentary about Ray: How to Draw a Bunny
and another great collection or Ray art

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home